As we all know, peanut butter is yummmmmy! Our hoomans use it in so many different ways: from disguising the taste of any nasty pills we need to take, to smothering our Kong toys in it. Sometimes, if we are really lucky, we may get to lick the yummy mixture straight off the spoon.
That may now come to an end. We are asking our hooman owners to please check the ingredients of peanut butter as companies are now using ‘XYLITOL’.
The BBC Good Food website mention Xylitol in an article:
“Xylitol is a naturally present substance found in fibres of many fruits and vegetables, and can be made in small amounts by the body. While it can be sourced from carbohydrate molecules in the cell walls of birch and beech trees, rice, oat wheat and cotton husks, the main source of Xylitol for commercial use is also in corn cobs. Once extracted and processed, you’re left with white, crystalline powder that looks like sugar.”
So maybe we need to be looking out for the mention of birch/beech tree, husk or corncob derived sweeteners? YES, it seems we do.
OK, this doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue, YET, that’s not to say it won’t be and this kind of information is always worth knowing. More so as we see many different foods from overseas in the big food shops.
Why this matters!
We think this warning about Xylitol is still important. It never hurts to get these messages out to our hooman owners. Xylitol can be found in many other hooman foods, not just peanut butter, so make sure your pawrents check the ingredients before sharing.
The artificial sweetener is extremely dangerous to us dogs. Only a small amount, as little as 0.1 gram per kilogram of body weight, can cause a severe drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycaemia), liver failure and unfortunately, death.
One family sadly discovered this recently, when their beloved doggy ate sugar-free chewing gum.
“Xylitol is estimated to be 100 times as toxic as chocolate is to dogs”
Xylitol toxicity develops rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycaemia may include one or all of the following:
· Incoordination or difficulty walking or standing (walking like a drunk)
· Depression or lethargy
In severe cases, the dog may develop seizures and liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure from xylitol poisoning often show signs of hypoglycaemia.
We know how much our hooman owners love us, so please spread the word and get them to check ingredients.
Woofs – Thor & Loki